Wednesday 23 January 2013

ACCEPTANCE




I was nervous about being accepted by my husband's extended family because I am a white woman and was previously married.  Both frowned upon by Indian culture.  White women are thought to be loose. At the time of my husband's first wife's death the family wanted Ram to come home and marry an Indian girl.  At that time he did not want a young wife who would also want children of her own  and who would also expect him to help her family financially.  My Bahurani (daughter in law), Purnima has been nothing but gracious and has taken me under her wing.  We laugh because per Indian protocol  I should be the one in charge and telling her what to do.  Instead she has a know nothing mother in law that can't even make chai much less a meal properly.


My friend and Bahurani,  Purnima


No comments:

Post a Comment